Friday 9 October 2015

It won't be like this for Long

My girls are both little. For four and a half months we had two under two and it is a lot. We were at a wedding this past weekend and so many of the women who had raised kids already were admiring my girls, watching with small smiles as I calmed temper tantrums, rocked and bounced a fussy baby, guided and disciplined, tried desperately to keep the girls quiet during speeches and vows and other important moments of a wedding. These experienced women all came to me later and told me "enjoy it" "It goes so quickly" "I know it feels slow now but its fast." Over and over and over I kept hearing this and started to ask myself why they were telling me this. I thought I knew this already, I am enjoying my babies, I know it goes fast, I'm savouring.
But I think that while I know these things in my head, in my heart, in my spirit, I forget. I love snuggling Hannah, but I want her to roll over, to sleep through the night, to crawl, to speak. I love playing with Isla, but I want her to play by herself, to read the story to herself, to dress herself. And I get impatient.


There's that country song, It won't be like this for long by Darius Rucker, that plays regularly on the radio and I've been singing the chorus to myself this week and reminding myself to enjoy my babies, enjoy the late night snuggles when I would rather been sleeping, enjoy the calls of 'mommy", enjoy the freely given kisses and smiles. And love on my girls as hard as I can because I don't have that much time with them before it won't be like this.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5fRlnfnoCM

No comments:

Post a Comment